August 18, 2009

Breast Cancer

August has been a hard month. My sister, Shawnae, was a good girl and went in for her first mammogram. After some toe-curling biopsies, she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. We don't have any cancer in our family so it was a huge shock. Shawnae has been amazingly strong and really taken charge of her health. I have seen her experience the 5 Stages of Grief beautifully:

  • Denial - "this can't be happening to me"

  • Anger - "why me?"

  • Bargaining

  • Depression - overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration or bitterness

  • Acceptance


One of the ways she has chosen to cope with her disease is to start a blog. I have a link on the right side of my blog where you can click to visit her blog. She has been an inspiration to me. I hope and pray that her surgery this Thursday will be successful and her lymph nodes will be clear of any cancer. I don't know if I can get off work that day to be at the hospital. I will try. I sure want to be there.

1 comment: