November 26, 2008

6-Week Bran Muffins

I have loved these Bran Muffins for years and mourn the fact that I can't eat them. I found out, about 14 years ago, that the kids and I have Celiac Disease (see links on sidebar) so I can't eat them. However, I still make them for Victor and his children and it thrills me to see someone enjoy them.
They are called 6-Week because the batter will last up to six weeks in your fridge. It's nice to scoop them out and plop them in muffin tins in the morning and have warm, fresh muffins for breakfast each day. Mmmmmm.... So, here is the recipe! My guide to my recipes is thus: C=cup, T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon

6-Week Bran Muffins
Bake for 20 min. at 375 in greased muffin tins
2 C boiling water
1 C shortening
2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 t salt
1 qt. buttermilk
5 t baking soda
5 C flour
4 C All-Bran cereal
2 C 40% Bran Flake cereal
Boil water in a small sauce pan, add the soda. It will foam. Boil for 1 min. Let rest for 2 minutes then add the rest of the ingredients (except the cereals). Cream. Fold in cereal. Don't over mix. Place in bowl with cover and store in fridge. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I still remember a poor, sad little 3 year old with an entire silver bowl full of delicious bran muffins on her head! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't have a jacuzzi, but I like baths. Can't stand horses, smelly creatures. I have a piece of junk washer and no dryer, but yes, good inventions. I love music and classical is great- string classical that is, I am not a classical piano fan. I love Private Selection brand ice cream, never had that B&J flavor, I'll just take your word for it. My bed stinks! I can't go through another pregnancy on that thing. Ah, cell phones, wish I had one. Quilting is so time consuming, but I do have my English paper piecing I take out every once in a blue moon.
    I do like our rocking chair. And thanks to Rachel I have a decent camera, at least compared to the other one. Lots of diverse 13 things, I like Thankful Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I remember that too. :> That and bran muffins making me really sick. I will take a gluten-free muffin any day.

    ReplyDelete